Senior vs. Freshman Questions

Julissa+Orellana+and+Ivon+Avila.+

Julissa Orellana and Ivon Avila.

Marie E. Rodriguez, Editor-In-Chief

Julissa Orellana (senior) vs. Ivon Avila (freshman)

Do you remember the first day of ninth grade? Please describe how you felt entering high school.

Orellana: “Yes, I was very nervous since I came from a middle school that no one seemed to know about since it wasn’t around the area. I was mostly nervous about making friends because I was very shy as a freshman. ”

Avila: “The first day of ninth grade I felt really anxious, I was nervous and lost. I hoped that I had some classes with my friends and that I would like my teachers.”

What is an inspirational quote that you live by?

Orellana: “If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.” (Fred Devito)

Avila: “I don’t really live by a quote, I just hope that everything turns out great each day.”

What is something you wish you could be doing that you are not currently doing at this point in your life?

Orellana: “Driving, my main focus this year are my grades because I don’t want to be focused on anything other than that. So I hope this summer I’ll be able to pass my driving test so that I can feel the freedom and power I have desired ever since I put my hands on a steering wheel.”

Avila: “At this point in my life I feel like I would like to have my brother with us but I know that right now he’s doing well, doing what he loves to do and we support him all the way.”

As the school year is coming to an end, what are your plans for summer?

Orellana: “Hopefully visit my grandparents in El Salvador because I haven’t seen them for a long time, get a job because I want to save up for a car once I’m done with my first two years of college, and move to Santa Cruz to start a new chapter of my life.”

Avila: “My plans for this summer are to help my mom more with her job. I’m also going to be taking classes during the summer and spending more time with my sister.

What is your greatest fear?

Orellana: “My greatest fear would be not being prepared mentally and physically for the challenges and goals that I have set for my future.”

Avila: “My greatest fear is disappointing my family, I don’t ever want to disappoint them.”

What are your plans after high school?

Orellana: “After high school I will be attending UC Santa Cruz where I will be majoring in Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology.”

Avila: “I’m not really sure what I want to do once I’m done with high school. I still haven’t figured that out but whatever it is, I hope it makes my family proud.”

What truly makes you happy?

Orellana: “Being loved by the people I admire and care about. Knowing that someone cares about me and supports me with anything that I feel strongly about is a feeling of joy that cannot be replaced by anything else in the world.”

Avila: “Having a loving and supportive family and having amazing friends that I know will stick by me is what truly makes me happy.”

What do you look forward to most about graduation? 

Orellana: “I look forward to the celebration in general. I have worked really hard throughout high school to be where I’m at and where I am going. Graduation will just be an emotional and exciting setting where I will say goodbye to four years of my life.”

Avila: “I look forward to walking up to the stadium, getting my diploma, and making my family proud.”