What is Up With All These Reboots?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What is Up With All These Reboots?

Phillip Lemus, Staff Writer

Most of us couch potatoes watch a lot of television shows and sometimes we see revived TV shows that previously aired before. Isn’ t it weird that most rebooted television shows just end up being total disappointments? I think not. It seems to me that television shows are starting to lose their creativity and focus. For example, shows like American Idol have been revived, due to the Disney-Fox deal, and it seems like Disney is really trying to capitalize on bringing back old shows on its networks. Yet compared to the original American Idol show, the rebooted version is WAY too sweet and generous when it comes to singing. It also seems like the people who actually sing are somehow super good, and maybe don’t seem as typical or genuine as on the original show. Though I’ve personally never watched the show, even I can tell the show is too nice: Where is the negativity? The ruthlessness?

Movie reboots, on the other hand, can also have great impacts on other movies. For example, before Batman Begins, the Batman franchise was reduced to obscurity and failure with all of its cheesy affects and nonsensical plots in its past movies and television shows.

Christopher Nolan’s take on Batman created a new example for superhero movies with its real-world feel and how it’s darker and grittier. Other examples, such as: Mad Max: Fury Road, Dredd, It, Ocean’s Eleven, and more, all set new tones to their former selves; they, in my opinion, successfully built upon their ancestors to create something more unique and modern. Granted, studios must sometimes dig deep in the past to find something that is “worthy,” but it takes a good imagination to find a way to make it work.

On a more personal note, I feel as though some reboots were just not meant to be. The show Teen Titans Go! took what was once an actually very original superhero show for a more-or-less teenage base, and took out all of its unique details for a more humorous, less meaningful kids show. The show, for probably most people who watch it, has a “dumbed-down-for-kids-so-they-might-as-well-just-dumb-down-the-dialogue-too” kind of feel. It’s so bad that the issue was addressed in one episode, then mocked in another one.

Hollywood may be losing its creativity, though I certainly wouldn’t want to know. Television shows like MacGyver, The Powerpuff Girls, and movie reboots like Ghostbusters, The Mummy, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, just all seem to never recapture their former glory. It’s these reboots that might make one feel scared for future reboots. CBS is going to revive the show Magnum P.I. and you CANNOT recreate what made that show special. Really, with the theme song being rebooted and where’s the iconic Tom Selleck bushy mustache? Nowhere, that’s where. It’s a tragedy, though, to think that someone had the idea of hopefully recreating the magic of what might’ve been a great film, but just falls short in the process.