Why Brett Kavanaugh Does Not Belong on the Supreme Court

Brett Kavanaugh looking angry in court

Sofia Lemus, Staff Writer

On October 6, Brett Kavanaugh was sworn in as a supreme court justice, although in my opinion, I  don’t believe that he was the right candidate. Brett Kavanaugh does not belong on the Supreme Court because he lacks analytical rigor, and he seems to have a difficult time controlling his emotions when faced with adversity. He comes off as hostile and he has views that are ultra conservative.

The U.S. Supreme Court should represent us as people. Our Judges should want what is best for all American people, yet Kavanaugh seems to think twice when it comes to protecting minorities. During his supreme court confirmation hearing, the American people were supposed to look to him to protect them, generally speaking, but it seems like they cannot even count on him to let them keep their jobs. This is a very closed-minded man and I believe that there is no room on the supreme court for people who do not have an open mind and who are not willing to accept the differences of others.

The nation needs someone who can stay composed in court and Kavanaugh knows this. “A good judge must be an umpire – a neutral and impartial arbiter who favors no litigant or policy,” said Kavanaugh. However, during his testimony about the sex assault allegations against him, he appeared very angry. Not only this, but when he was asked questions from Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, he replied rudely and sarcastically. For example, when asked about whether or not he had ever been so drunk that he could not remember the night before, he replied by saying, “Do you like beer, Senator, or not?” and “What do you like to drink?” This is rude, immature, and childish. There is no room for behavior like that in any courtroom no matter who is on trial. This is not only extremely disrespectful towards the judge, but this would be very rude for him to say to anyone. He should be able to stay calm in the courtroom but during his testimony, unfortunately,  it seemed like his emotions were getting the best of him.

“The desire to remedy societal discrimination is not a compelling interest” is a quote from an email Kavanaugh wrote in 2001. One example of societal discrimination is racism. How can we expect things like police brutality to change if a man on the highest court in the United States does not care to change it. We cannot. He cannot relate to people of color, and he does not care, which is incredibly selfish. He cannot even so much as sympathize with the fact that people’s family members are dying every day because of the color of their skin. Vox.com did research and discovered 61.7 percent of Americans are white, which means that 38.3 percent of Americans are people of color. That is 125,241,000 lives that Kavanaugh does not care to protect from racial discrimination. People of color matter, the idea that people of color are not important belongs in the past. The times are changing and our youth are now more accepting than ever. The nation deserves someone who cares about all people and not just the ones he can relate to.

Kavanaugh is also not in favor of stricter gun laws. In fact, he does not even believe that people should be required to register their guns. There have been 18 school shootings this year, and we deserve to have educational places that we feel comfortable and safe in. Students should not have to risk their lives in order to get an education and parents should not have to risk their children’s safety in order to get them a better future. This makes me believe that he does not care about America’s youth, which does not make sense because our youth is our future. This is a problem that absolutely needs to be resolved and the only way to do this is by enforcing stricter gun laws which Kavanaugh seems to have no interest in doing. Just because his family has not been affected by gun violence,  does not mean it is unimportant.

Brett Kavanaugh is a man who does not care for minorities, cannot control his emotions in the courtroom, cannot control his own attitude in a courtroom, does not care to change societal discrimination, and does not want stricter gun rules. Everything that he does not care to change are the things we desperately need in America. A U.S. Supreme Court justice should be able to put his attitude aside in a courtroom, but not only did Kavanaugh have an extremely negative attitude, but he became overly emotional during his testimony against Dr. Ford. He does not support the ideas of stricter gun laws which is something that would only protect the American people. Keeping our youth safe is the same as protecting our future which is something he should care about. Bigotry does not belong in the future which is why it is necessary that we get people on the supreme court want to move us forward instead of backwards.