Homeschooling vs. Public Schooling? Your Choice!

Homeschooling vs. Public Schooling?  Your Choice!

Miguel Cisneros, Staff Writer

There are many different ways people choose to get educated nowadays. Those differences always go head to head when it comes to homeschooling vs public schooling. Here are some points about both types of schooling to help you decide which is best for you and your family.

Most people go to a public schools because they like the typical teacher-in-front-of-the-class teaching and also hanging out with their friends. Other students also have the option of homeschooling–which is for kids that can’t be in a classroom with others, or for people who have family problems.

Homeschooling is also for those who have jobs and don’t really have the time to be at a school because they are living as if there are technically adults. There are always different opinions about both types of schooling, but there is not a single style of schooling that is ideal for everyone. Personally, I like both of them, but there are good reasons in which to choose one or the other.

Image result for mission viewTraditional schooling is the most common type of schooling. Most kids go to public schools because students can get extra help from that environment.

Traditional classroom setting for the majority of students.

Public schools have a lot of socializing and different sports and clubs and a lot of interacting as well. In traditional schools, you’re placed with people at your age level. Two good things about public schools are that you have direct contact with teachers and you don’t have to learn on your own. If you ever have any questions, your teachers will answer your questions at any given time. There are also a lot of things on the negative side about traditional schools. If you’re someone who doesn’t like being around people, you would find it harder to enjoy public school. Another thing about public schools is that you don’t have to worry about what to wear every morning.

On the other hand, homeschooling has different types of schooling. Homeschooling is basically school at home. There are a variety of different homeschooling programs that offer different types of schooling– whether online or in person. The homeschooling I’m familiar with is a school called Options For Youth.

In Options For Youth, you basically go to a center twice a week to turn in your packets which are chapters of whatever subject you’re learning. You go to the center and test on your packet and if you pass it, that’s one high school credit. Every subject has a total of 10 credits which is equal to a year of that subject. Homeschooling is good for those people who are independent and responsible with their time. Homeschooling teaches the same material as public schools do, just in a more independent way. If you ever need help with your work, you could go to the center and there would be tutors available.

In my opinion, I feel like they both have their pros and cons. I did homeschooling for a bit and enjoyed it. I attended homeschool for my 8th grade year and within that time span, I learned a lot. It was fun for a couple of months–until I got bored of being alone. I wanted to go back to school and wanted to be around people again.

Neither schooling type is better than the other; it’s just up to personal preference. Everyone’s opinions are different on which schooling is better for a kid. What type of schooling do you prefer? Which do you think has a better and long-lasting impact on a kid? The answers are completely up to how and where you would like to learn.