The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Current SF Valley Job Openings for Patriot Seniors

Google search showing what jobs and positions are available at different San Fernando Valley companies. (photo: Ingrid Flamenco (12))

Everything starts to get a lot more expensive during senior year and seniors have to worry about spending a lot of money on dance tickets, senior photos, cap and gowns, class shirts, class rings, yearbooks, and many more. During senior year, students also have to worry about college and future expenses. Senior year can not only be stressful but also can be expensive, especially with inflation and the high cost of living. Many seniors are trying to find jobs to pay for all these senior items. I have created a list of jobs that are now hiring high school students for employment. 

Most jobs are very flexible, part-time, minimum wage, and keep in mind high school students’ schedules. Some jobs include Fast food restaurants offer these jobs including McDonald’s’, Wendy’s, Panda Express, Chick-fil-A, In-N-Out, Starbucks, and more. All of these jobs tend to hire a lot of teenagers and the only requirement to work for them is a food handler’s certificate which you can get online. Although the application and interview process might be hard, students should never give up because there will always be a place of employment elsewhere. 

Many other jobs, outside of selling food, involve merchandising and register operations including Target, Walmart, various retail stores at the mall, Ulta, Home Depot, and amusement parks. These jobs are perceived to be more difficult to get through the application process. Most of these jobs are very specific about what they want and who has the right qualifications. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t at least try and you might even hear back from them. The minimum age for most of these jobs is 16+ so you don’t have to be a senior to apply to them. 

I asked a few senior students at Birmingham how their job application process went and here’s what they said about what was easiest and what was most difficult.  Gisel de la Torre (12) said, “My job application process was pretty easy but the hardest transition I had to make was realizing that I wasn’t going to have much free time anymore. I also realized that I was going to have my own money now.” Timothy Reyder (12) commented, “The hardest part was the interview and finding a job because not all jobs are looking for someone who can work part-time and most jobs are looking for people who can work during the day.”