Famous Movie Trilogies That We Love

Tyeson Williams, Staff Reporter

Movies trilogies have gone really far in the entertainment industry. From George Lucas’ Star Wars , to Disney’s own Toy Story. Here are a look at some of the best movie trilogies of all time.

Star Wars is an American space opera franchise created by George Lucas in 1977. The franchise depicts a galaxy described as “far , far away” in the distant past and portrays adventures and battles between good & evil. The first film in the series was Star Wars ( later subtitled Episode IV : A New Hope ). It was released on May 25, 1977 by 20th Century Fox. It became a worldwide pop culture phenomenon. It was followed by two sequels, Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Episode VI : Return of the Jedi (1983).

The Lord of the Rings is a film series consisting of three high fantasy adventure films directed by Peter Jackson. They are based on the novel “The Lord of the Rings” by J.R.R Tolkien. The films subtitled The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) , The Two Towers (2002) and The Return of the King (2003). They were distributed by New Line Cinema. The Lords of the Rings is considered one of the biggest movie projects making a minimum of $281 million to about $310 to $330 million maximum. The Lord of the Rings has won 17 out of 30 award nominations.

Toy Story is a computer generated imagery (CGI) animated film series and Disney media franchise that began with the original 1995 film , Toy Story. It was produced by Pixar and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The franchise is based on the anthropomorphic concept that all toys, unknown to humans , are secretly alive , and the films focus on a diverse group of toys that feature a classic cowboym, Sheriff Woody , and modern spaceman , Buzz Lightyear. The group unexpectedly embark on adventures that challenge & change them. All three films , produced on a total budget of $320 million and $1.9 billion worldwide. Toy Story is apart of the “Top 15 best films of all time worldwide.” The three films are Toy Story (1995) , Toy Story 2 (1999) , and Toy Story 3 (2010). The fourth installment is set to release on June 15 , 2018

The Matrix is a scientific fiction action media franchise created by The Wachowskis and distributed by Warner Bros. The series began with the feature film The Matrix (1999) and continued with two sequels , The Matrix Reloaded (2003) and The Matrix Revolutions (2003).  The characters and settings of the films are further explored in other media set in the same fictional universe , including animation , comics , and video games. The series features a cyberpunk story incorporating references to numerous philosophical and religious ideas where the heroes find a desperate war against machine overlords who have enslaved Humanity in an extremely sophisticated virtual reality gestalt.

To find out which trilogy was considered the best here at BCCHS, I asked 50 students which one was their favorite. Here are the results:

Star Wars: 16

Toy Story: 14

The Matrix: 12

Lord of the Rings: 8