With a Healthy Mind, Comes a Healthy Body

Geovanni Gomez and Hadaasa Nae

What is meditation?

Meditation is the practice of relaxing both the body and the spirit and it provides a deep kind of healing. Many studies have confirmed that meditation produces positive outcomes and is beneficial for peoples’ psyche. Meditation helps: reduce aging, create a positive atmosphere, increase immunity, and improve sleeping habits. However, it can only be effective if it is put into practice.

What is yoga?

Yoga is an ascetic practice which includes breath controls and specific body poses. Like meditation, yoga has many benefits for body and mental health. Some benefits of yoga are increased flexibility, improved bone strength, and increased self-esteem.

Why do we need a yoga and meditation program you ask? The BCCHS Psychology Club is responsible for doing research in order for students to experience the advantages and benefits of yoga and meditation. Ms. Wydra, adviser of the psychology club, explained, “I’ve noticed a lot of my students are very stressed and often times don’t have an effective way of dealing with their stress… [as a result, through the program,] we can learn to stay calm and relax in the face of many challenges that come [in the student’s] way.  Ms. Wydra hopes that  the word spreads, and that many students see how valuable the program is and get involved. Due to the club’s positive impact on the Birmingham Community, she hope this program will last all year long.

So what are you waiting for, Patriots? Join the yoga group on Tuesdays from 8:05 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. at the small gym, and be a part of the meditation groups on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8:10 a.m. to 8:25 a.m. in various classrooms.

Help spread awareness for mental and physical health!