Birmingham Wins Division 1 L.A. City Championship at Dodger Stadium

2016-2017 CIF Division 1 Los Angeles City Baseball Champions

Sebastian Cardona, Staff Writer

The Patriots (26-9-1) competed at Dodger Stadium for the L.A. City Division 1 City Championship on Saturday, June 3 and the BCCHS Baseball Team played the toughest team in the West Valley League, Chatsworth (29-6). The Patriots took two hard defeats in league against the Chancellors with 16-0 and 7-1 losses, but the Patriots came back better than ever and defeated Chatsworth 4-3 to win Birmingham’s fifth city baseball title, and first title since 2014.

In the first inning, sophomore Kevin Olmos hits an RBI and scores Johnny Tincher (10). Later in the third inning, Chatsworth senior Daniel Zakosek hit an RBI single and tied the game at 1-1. Birmingham took the lead 2-1 in the fifth inning when Matt Garcia (12) hit an RBI single scoring Eddie Rosales(12). Johnny Tincher then hit an RBI double in the sixth inning bringing in two runs making the score 4-1, but in the seventh inning, Chatsworth’s Josh Medina hit a two-out, two-run double making the game 4-3. Chatsworth’s final batter hit the ball to center field and it was caught by sophomore Mark Gallardo and Birmingham defeated Chatsworth 4-3.

BCCHS Baseball Team 16-17 ring ceremony

The 2017 BCCHS Varsity Baseball Team was a group of outstanding athletes who gave everything they had in each game they played.  They didn’t have the best start with a 0-1 loss against Saugus igh school. The team played tough teams throughout the season, such as El Camino, Chatsworth, Cleveland and against the school rivals Taft high school. The Patriots took 2 losses to Chatsworth and Cleveland, 1 win against El camino and Taft, and 2 wins against Granada Hills .

With the Patriots overall record and league record (22-9-1) they made it to the playoff with their first game against Poly. It was a home game on the beautiful Ramirez Field on Tuesday, May 16, the Patriots beat poly in a 7-1 game with the pitching of Eddie Rosales and Armando Yanez and the offense of the team. Quarter finals  was another home game on Friday, May 19, and The patriots played an intense game against Banning. The patriots were playing as if it were their last game were able to score 2 runs in the second and fifth inning of the game while Eddie Rosales Pitched his way through the game with a shutout and thus winning the game 2-0. The BCCHS Baseball Team made it to the semifinals as they play Cleveland, a tough team that the Patriots loss to in league but the team came back strong and learned from their mistakes. Starting pitcher Armando Yanez throws a shutout through 5 1/4 inning and then comes Eddie Rosales to come relieve for him. As the Patriots take a 1-0 lead with a RBI single by Albert Garcia, scoring in Matt Garcia in the 4th inning . The Cavaliers catcher was not able to block the baseball that was thrown by the pitcher and Diego Alonso makes the run to home and scores safe in the same inning, and the patriots are up 2-0 . Then in the 6th inning the Cavaliers score and its 2-1 and Rosales is able to get himself out of the trouble. 7th inning and the Patriots get a double play with a ground ball to Eddie Rosales, he throws it to 2nd base and the throw to first was not made but there was a runners interference with batter. Two outs and its a 0-2 count, Rosales releases the pitch and strikes out the batter thus winning the game 2-1!