Gun Laws…Is California Safe?

Ammunition Comic Strip

Ammunition Comic Strip

Google Images

Google Images

Ammunition Comic Strip

Bryce Gage, Staff Writer

The United States is notorious for the mass number of gun-related deaths throughout our history, but California arguably has the best gun laws of all of the states. Guns have many positive connotations, contrary to popular belief, such as household safety, uses as a hobby, and for our own LAPD and military services.

As of January 1, 2018, possession of a large-capacity magazine is banned in California via prop 63. Along with California, seven other states have this rule that prohibit or ban large-capacity magazines. All guns now have a standard of 10 rounds as the legal magazine in California. Several states have an allowance of 15 rounds. Anything higher than 10 rounds in one of the eight states can be recognized as a felony.

Criminals are also now relinquishing firearms once they are convicted, and this also helps give insight on how many criminals illegally possess a firearm. Another great law California has, is the repeal of open carry or having a firearm in public. President Reagan previously stated that there is, “no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.” He also added that guns were a, “ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will.”

Another organization with the intent to spread firearm safety is the National Rifle Association (NRA). The NRA was founded in 1871 and has always had the intention of guaranteeing the safety of U.S. citizens who can properly use a firearm.

The counter argument includes the negative connotations tied to guns and that is how easily they are to purchase and how they are used in the hands of criminals and mentally unbalanced individuals. Also, the alarming number of children and adolescents who have come across an adult with a firearm is rising.

Roughly 2.5 million accidental firearm deaths occurred in 2013, with less than half of the US states have laws designed to protect children. It should be mandatory within the U.S. to have a gun lock and case with a key at all times to prevent any accidents like this. Some negative factors about California’s gun laws are that the state does not require a gun permit to purchase a firearm. A permit is just an extra layer of safety that adds some restrictions in for buying and possessing firearms.

It is arguable that California is the best protected state to firearms. California is the ninth best state in the U.S. with the least amount of homicides by firearm. Over the next few years, TSA and other private agencies will tighten down to help give the U.S. a better reputation and step away from the notorious “gun country” that we are visualized to be. If you or someone you know is planning on owning a firearm, make sure it is kept legally and stored safely.

US Gun Laws by State