Bitter Johnny Depp and Amber Heard Defamation Trial Continues

Genivive Chavez, Student Life Editor

Actress Amber Heard is being sued for defamation by her former husband, actor Johnny Depp. Heard and Depp began dating in 2012 and later got married in 2016. But after only 15 months of being married, Heard filed for divorce.

Two years after their divorce in 2018, Heard wrote an op-ed piece in the Washington Post about surviving domestic violence. Although she never mentioned Depp’s name, this had an enormous effect on him. Various movies dropped him, he was painted as an abuser, and he lost millions of dollars. Despite not being named the effect it had was so huge that even The Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, one of the movie franchises Depp is well-known for, dropped him from the upcoming sequel.

Amber Heard and Johnny Depp’s divorce featured on the cover of a magazine.

After having his reputation dragged and ruined, he filed a lawsuit against Heard in March 2019 for 50 million dollars. The case kept getting postponed but was finally launched on April 11, 2022.

Heard’s ex-assistant testified in court and had lots of things to say about Heard that painted her as a bad person. She would talk about how little she was paid, how bad she was treated, and how overworked she was. When asked about Depp, her whole demeanor changed. She spoke about how loving he was with her son and how she had never seen him become abusive, despite Heard’s claims.

Magazine cover featuring Amber Heard with an alleged bruise that Johnny Depp allegedly gave to her.

Since then, both Heard and Depp have testified. The public has had very different reactions to their testimonies with the majority of the media landing on Depp’s side. Memes have been made of Heard making fun of her testimony saying that her story doesn’t make sense or add up. Meanwhile, the public has decided to support Depp by buying the Dior cologne “Sauvage.”

Dior was the only company willing to still work with Depp despite his being dropped by many movies and the rumors of him being a “wife-beater.”

Many fans are buying this cologne because they were the only ones who still worked with Depp when everyone else turned their backs on him.