Patriot Football Team Wins Third Consecutive City Championship

Kimberly Castaneda, Sports Editor

The BCCHS football season has come to an end. Here at Birmingham, history was made again as the Patriots became L.A. City Champs for the third year in a row!

In our preseason last August, BCCHS took on some tough schools in order to get the team ready for League competition. In the preseason, we first took on Royal High School and suffered our very first loss of the preseason by a score of 21-14. We then went against Sherman Oaks Notre Dame High School and lost 49-20. Top-ranked Chaminade High School was next in line and they also defeated us by a score of 35-0. Westlake High School also secured a win against us, 32-12. The last game of the preseason was against Hueneme High School and we defeated them by a score of 28-14.

The League opener was against Taft High School. Blue versus Red. Taft hadn’t beaten Birmingham in TEN YEARS. The Patriots beat Taft with a score of 47-0.

We then dominated the West Valley League and won five straight games.

The playoff season started against second-ranked Venice High School. In round one of the Open Division, the Patriots went into double overtime and defeated Venice by a score of 28-27. It was a very close game, but the Patriots pulled through with an amazing comeback victory. In the second round of the Open Division playoffs, Birmingham went up against Wilmington Banning High School and defeated them soundly, 42-7.

In the finals of the Open Division, Birmingham went up against the Garfield High School Bulldogs. After the first two quarters, Birmingham was dominating with a score of 35-0. The Bulldogs made their first points against the Patriots in the third quarter.  The Patriots finished strong and the final score was 49-13.

Student section supporting our Patriots (photo: Emily Arreaga)

The team made history once again as a “threepeat” was completed against Garfield. Three city championship games in a row.

Next, the Patriots took on Laguna Hills High School in the 3A State Regional Game. The Laguna Hills High School Hawks had an overall record of 14-0 while Birmingham had an overall score of  9-5. This state regional game was a home game- where the Patriots were supported by friends and family!

The final score featured Laguna Hills winning, 35-28. It was a great season for our Birmingham Patriots. Another city title was gained.