BCCHS Girls Volleyball Season Ends Successfully

Kimberly Castaneda, Sports Editor

Making it to the city championship game in CIF Division I, the Lady Patriot volleyball team also qualified for the 2022 CIF State Girls Volleyball Championship Tournament. These outstanding results at the end of the season came after a rough start to begin the year. Their overall score was 18-15 and their league score was 3-7. They were 5th in the West Valley Division.

Our Lady Patriot Volleyball Team competed during a home game last fall. (photo: BCCHS Yearbook Staff)

Their season started off first against Granada Hills Charter where the girls took their first loss of 3-0. El Camino Real also took on Birmingham and won by a score of 3-1. Taft also defeated our girls 3-0. With these losses, many would’ve lost hope. However, these girls changed that.

Birmingham then defeated Cleveland High School Cavaliers with a score of 3-2. That same score was the outcome of the game between Birmingham against Chatsworth. These wins motivated these girls to keep on pushing through the season. They took Granada again but did lose by a score of 3-0. The next match was against University Wildcats High School, which was 4th in the Western Valley league. This game was a neutral tournament, and our girls defeated them with a score of 2-0!

In this tournament, they also took on Grant High School, Kennedy High School, Heritage Christian High School, and Glendale High School. They were all defeated by our girls’ volleyball team!

Our Patriots did lose against Marshall High school 1-0, but this helped them move on to the playoffs. They took on North Hollywood High School where they won with a score of 3-2. They also won against Eagle Rock High School, 3-0. But unfortunately, our Patriots were defeated by San Pedro, 3-1. Their overall score in the playoffs was 3-1.

Patriots playing against Eagle Rock in the Girls Volleyball Championship. (photo: BCCHS Yearbook Staff)

They then moved on to the 2022 CIF State Girls Volleyball Championship. They were defeated by Santa Ynez Valley Union High School, 3-0. Although the girls’ volleyball season has now ended, history and memories were made. Most of the varsity team were seniors! This was a great way for them to end their high school volleyball career. Now we must wait for what next season has for us and for Dr. Bennett Riley to lead them again.