How to Successfully Prepare or the Grade 11 SBAC Exam

Alejandro Luna, Staff Writer

SBAC testing week is starting April 17 – 21 and is only for 11th graders. BCCHS has a special bell schedule during this testing week in which grades 9, 10, and 12 must report to campus at lunch every day while the juniors taking the SBAC must report every day at 8:30 a.m.

The test consists of Science, English language arts/literacy, and mathematics and the answers are computer adaptive, which means the difficulty of the questions adjusts based on the responses to get precise measurements of each student’s abilities. Some students might not know what to do to prepare and that’s ok because I’m here to share some suggestions about what to do. Some of the most important tips are to make sure you eat something before the test so you do not have an empty stomach, and to get enough sleep each day so you aren’t drowsy during the testing. Another tip is to bring your own snacks just in case the snacks that are provided aren’t enough and finally, bring something comfy to sit on as you will be testing for up to three hours at a time.

Another way to prepare for the SBAC is by taking practice tests online at www.caaspp.org. The SBAC practice tests will help you figure out topics that will be on the actual test. Many math and English classes have been taking practice test modules to better prepare for the test.

It’s good to take advantage of these opportunities and it helps you familiarize yourself with the test format, types of questions that will be asked, and pacing. Taking a practice test is important to understand your strengths and weaknesses. It’s important to know so you can study where you’re struggling.

You can use online resources and study guides to help you improve. Study guides can provide an overview of the topics that will be on the SBAC. Also, you can try improving your skills the week before SBAC testing to ensure you remember as much information as possible. Studying for a test is helpful because it gives you a higher chance of passing than not studying at all. You can ask a teacher if they have any work or advice that can be used as a study guide before the test is taken.

Stress can prevent you from doing your best on a test as important as the SBAC, so learning how to reduce stress can help you when testing. Two ways to reduce stress are to practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation, and positive self-talk.

Pep talks can help you boost your confidence. It’s good to tell yourself that you are well-prepared and capable of doing well on the test. Remember to take one question at a time and not stress about the other questions but put your entire focus on the question you are on.  It’s also good to remember that this is not a timed test, so students can continue the test after lunch if they need extra time.