Should “Promposals” Be Banned in High School?

Daniel Gomez, Opinion Editor

Prom is a rite of passage for high school students, and one of the most exciting parts of the prom experience is the promposal.

But as promposals become increasingly elaborate and sometimes even over-the-top, schools across the country are grappling with whether or not they should allow them. Promposals can be a fun and creative way for students to ask their crush to prom. From spelling out “prom?” in rose petals to renting a helicopter to fly over the school with a promposal banner, the possibilities are endless.

Promposals can also be a way for students to show off their personalities and creativity, and can add to the excitement and anticipation leading up to prom. Therefore, allowing promposals can enhance the overall prom experience for students.

This BCCHS promposal features Caitlyn Halpern and Jonathan Chavez-Apaez (photo: Jade Baxendale)

However, some argue that promposals can be a source of stress and anxiety for students. For those who are not in a relationship, or who are shy, the pressure to come up with an elaborate promposal can be overwhelming. Additionally, some promposals can be seen as exclusionary or even bullying, with students publicly rejecting someone in front of their peers. Such incidents can lead to hurtful experiences and memories for the students involved. Therefore, schools should be mindful of the potential negative impact of promposals and take steps to minimize any harm caused.

Schools are taking different approaches to promposals. Some are banning them altogether, while others are setting guidelines and restrictions to ensure they are safe and respectful.

At Newtown High School in Connecticut, for example, students must get their promposal approved by a teacher before asking someone to prom. This ensures that the promposal is appropriate and respectful, and helps prevent any hurtful or embarrassing situations. Other schools have established guidelines around the cost of promposals, the use of school property, and the involvement of faculty or staff in the planning process.

In the end, whether or not to allow promposals is a decision that should be made on a school-by-school basis, taking into account the unique needs and culture of the student body. Promposals can be a fun and memorable part of the high school experience, but they should never be used to hurt or exclude others.

With the right guidelines and restrictions in place, promposals can be a positive and exciting addition to prom season, and can provide an opportunity for students to express themselves creatively and have fun with their peers.