The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Vintage Yearbook Sales!

Cloudy Senior Sunrise Did Not Meet Senior Expectations

The Senior Sunrise at the Birmingham soccer field September 29, 2023. (Clockwise from the top: Joaldi Diaz, Roger Arevalo, Andrew Aguirre, Alexis Ramirez, Kenneth Luquin, David Hernandez)

Although many seniors here at Birmingham were excited about Senior Sunrise, many had different opinions about the event. The event happened on Friday, September 29 and many seniors complained about the day being moved.  The day senior sunrise was originally scheduled was a sunny day in which the sunrise would be visible. On the other hand, the day it was moved to was a cloudy day and the sunrise was not visible at all.

Kayley Soto (12) stated, “My senior sunrise was a bit disappointing because we didn’t even see a sunrise to start off with, as it was cloudy.” This was one of the most common things seniors and she later remarked, “A week before, it did say this day would be cloudy, so why not change it to a day where it was obviously going to be sunny, since they had already changed it.” These seniors had a right to express their disappointment about the event because at the end of the day, it was a senior event and they expected a lot.

There were also positive comments as well. Alex Colio (12) commented, “The food was good and they even had matcha there too.” There were various carts of food that were free for attending seniors. The provided food included pancakes, eggs, bacon, and hash browns, and there was a cafe in the corner in addition that prepared matcha and iced coffee. Colio continued, “The only thing I would say is that it was said that the grass would be dry, but I got my PJs and shoes completely dirty because the grass was wet, and it suddenly became muddy.” Clearly, there was positive feedback but some negative comments as well, as not all the seniors enjoyed the provided activities. Most of the seniors stayed longer at the event in order to be with their friends.