Colin Kaepernick: Making a Comeback?

A photo from Kaepernick’s workout.

Michael Ochoa, Staff Writer

Its been three years (or 889 days), since Colin Kaepernick has stepped onto  NFL field. After Kaepernick took a knee during the National Anthem, the media has made him look like a bad guy. Kaepernick was initially inspired to kneel in order to protest the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of police while in police custody. These deaths gained prominence through the media and the Black Lives Matter movement in the years immediately preceding the protest. He opted out his contract on March 1, 2017 and has been ready to play since that time.

https://youtu.be/eTrTy13y7n8

When Nike put out the 30th Anniversary of their ‘JUST DO IT’ commercial, some people went ballistic. Nike consumers sent death threats to Nike’s offices and to Kaepernick. Their stock market value plummeted after the video. Some people went as far as burning and destroying their Nike merchandise. Many celebrities reacted including President Donald Trump.

Trumps thoughts on Colin Kaepernick.

For so months, he has been denied by the NFL and owners, but now that ends. On November 16, 2019 Kaepernick hosted a workout at a high school in Atlanta. After Kaepernick changed the venue at the last minute, only seven NFL teams ended up attending the workout, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. The Lions, Chiefs, Jets, Eagles, 49ers, Titans and Washington were represented. It is the first time Kaepernick had worked out in front of NFL scouts since he opted out of his contract before the 49ers released him in March 2017.