CrossCountry Runs To City Finals

Deli Chanta, Staff Reporter

Birmingham’s 2014 -2015  Cross Country team finished in stride after a challenging season full of competition. This year they had a stronger boys and girls frosh soph team compared to last year . In addition, the varsity and jv  teams had more depth. Coach Jose Torres said “We worked  a lot on fundamentals early in our training that allowed our runners to perform their best at City Finals.”  The coach also said that “managing the logistics to properly train 60 plus athletes with a few coaches was challenging through the season but they made it work with the help of the team captains and senior members on the squad. They stepped up huge and made sure the workout programs were executed well.”

When asked to name a few runners who deserved recognition, Coach Torres mentioned  Jackline Martinez and Vanessa Barrajas “for their dedication and support with my girls squad.” He also mentioned Carlos Rivera , Vicente Almanza , and Randy Naranjo, “for their leadership in helping the Frosh Soph boys team win a City Championship.” Lastly he credited  Jordy Ceja because “through example, he showed the rest of the team how to be humble, fearless, and a true champion.” In a closing statement, Coach Torres said “the future of this sport is in great hands, we have so many returning talented Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors and I look forward to helping our athletes get to the next level.” Go Patriots!