Birmingham Football Team Back to Back L.A. Open Division Champions

Birmingham celebrates after defeating San Pedro for the Open Division City Championship

Michael Ochoa and Trent Paulino

The BCCHS Football Team celebrating after winning the open division championship game

What an incredible season it was for the Birmingham Patriots Football Team. Our varsity team’s overall record included 9 wins and 6 losses.  Our first five games started off a little rough as BCCHS lost all five games against ranked CIF Southern Section opponents, but after those five games, the Patriots went on a nine-game winning streak to finish the regular season and in the playoffs to ultimately win the Los Angeles Open Division Championship and then travel to the state championship games! Throughout that winning streak, Birmingham beat Westchester, Taft (homecoming game), Granada Hills, Chatsworth, El Camino Real, Lincoln (playoffs) Wilmington Banning (playoffs), San Pedro (championship game), and Patrick Henry (state playoffs).

Our Los Angeles Open Division Championship game was against San Pedro High School. In the first round of the state playoffs, Birmingham defeated Patrick Henry High School in San Diego. The Patriots then traveled to Oakland for the final state championship game of the year, against McClymonds High School in Oakland.

The Open Division Championship game against San Pedro was played on November 27 and Birmingham won had a hard-fought game at Pierce College. BCCHS forged ahead by 10 points in the second half, held onto the lead, and won the city championship with the final score, 24 – 14.

Patriot QB David Oliveros-Jordan(12) threw for over 130 yards and two touchdowns and had an almost-perfect QB rating of 118. Arlis Boardingham caught both of those touchdown passes. Birmingham ran all over the San Pedro defense with a total of 208 rushing yards, and a total of 31 carries–averaging 6.7 yards per carry!!  The defense also played really well, tallying two sacks, five pass deflections, a forced fumble, and held a potent offense to only two touchdowns.

Our CIF Division 3 State Championship Game was against McClymonds High School on December 11. Our team tried their best, but McClymonds was too big and too fast for BCCHS and they won big, 54-7.

Overall, what a season for the Patriots! Winning the City Championship and keeping it here at BCCHS, where it belongs. Congratulations to the 2021 Back-to-Back Open Division City Champions, the Birmingham Patriots Football Team!

The BCCHS football team after winning the city championship game