BCCHS Basketball Season Comes to an End in State Playoffs

Ingrid Flamenco, Front Page Editor

Since the BCCHS Basketball team season came to an end in the state playoffs, here’s a recap of their season results. The season lasted 13 games in total and the team went all the way to the state Playoffs. Their very first game of the season was at Granada Hills and BCCHS won 59-46. The basketball team also went against El Camino Real, Chatsworth, and Cleveland and won all 3 away games while losing only one away game against Taft, 54-55–our very first loss during league play.

During the final quarter of the Birmingham vs. San Pedro Play-Off Game. (photo: Ingrid Flamenco (11))

On the other hand, BCCHS had been undefeated at home winning against Chatsworth, Taft, Cleveland, Granada Hills, and El Camino Real. The first home game of the season was against Chatsworth and the Patriots led at halftime, 46-26, and in the end, took an easy victory by a final score of 85-62.

One of the school’s most popular games this season was a home game against our rival Taft. This was a very close game with the halftime score, 40-37. After 5 minutes of overtime, the exciting game concluded with the Patriots squeezing out the win with a final score of  81-77. This home game against Taft was one of the best games this season and sold out the entire main gym with both Birmingham and Taft students and families.  

In the middle of the season, our basketball team had non-league games. Their first non-league game was against Grant High School and Birmingham ended up winning 80-77. They also had another non-league game against Mayfair and BCCHS lost by a final score of 58-53.

As a result, with 10 wins, our basketball team advanced to playoffs where they played San Pedro in the first round in our main gym. After a close halftime score of 43-31, BCCHS ended up winning this game 77-64. After winning the first game, the team advanced to the City Section Open Division Semifinals, where they played a challenging game against Fairfax High School. Trailing 31-28 at halftime, BCCHS lost by a final score of 68-58.

The basketball season then concluded with a trip to the state playoffs in a game against Pacifica Christian High School and BCCHS lost 74-64. 

Although the season ended, we are very proud to say that we were undefeated at home, and in the end, our team had a great season overall. BCCHS is very proud of how far our basketball team advanced in playoffs and how amazing this season was. We are very excited to see what’s in store for next season.