BCCHS Boys’ Varsity Baseball is Ready for Their Season

Team+Photo

Team Photo

Jack Freeman, Sports Editor

The 2016 BCCHS Varsity Baseball Team is eager to start their season after coming off of a strong 2015 campaign that unfortunately ended in a second round playoff loss to El Camino Real. El Camino went on to win the city title, but the Patriot boys are ready to bounce back this season and win it all.

The baseball team is excited to play their first game against Calabasas at 11 a.m. this coming Saturday, February 27, on our home field. I had the chance to ask two players from the team if there was anything they would like to change from last season and both Erik Saucedo (16) and Jon Escott (12) said, “Yes, change the fact that we didn’t win the city title last year and win it again this year.” It is clear that the team is determined to take the title this year.  When asked if the players think if any of the teams they face will be especially challenging, both Escott and Saucedo agreed when they said, “El Camino, because they won the title last year and have returners from last season.” There are two BCCHS players that have high expectations this season. Catcher Ryan Mendoza (4), has high expectations because he committed to Cal State Long Beach and is looking good in practice. Pitcher Isaac Meza (31), also has high expectations because he recently committed to CSUB.

There are many seniors on the team that are going to be playing their last year of high school baseball. When Saucedo asked if he was going to do anything differently for his last year he responded, “No I’m going to have fun and go out with a bang.” Saucedo was asked how the team’s chemistry is progressing and he replied, “Team chemistry is improving more and more as the days go by.” The team is focused on fulfilling their goals such as winning league and bringing back another city title. It’s easy to see that these guys are ready to play and are ready for any opponent they face. All fellow patriots at BCCHS should go support the team at their first game Saturday against Calabasas and all the games throughout the season. Go Patriots!