The 2016 Presidential Elections and how it’s made Americans feel : “I’m moving to Canada!”

Nina Hovanesian, Staff Reporter

Whether you are a Democrat, Republican or belonging to any other political party, there is no denying that the 2016 Presidential Elections are making you think a bit more about who you will be voting for president this year. From Donald Trump’s blatantly racist comments on undocumented immigrants to Hillary Clinton’s plan to renew gun laws in the U.S., this year’s candidates are getting people talking and you should be too.

The first step in understanding why the 2016 Presidential Election is so controversial is knowing who is running for president. Some Democratic candidates include: Vice President Joe Biden, Former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and US Senator Bernie Sanders.

Republican Party candidates include: Former Governor Jeb Bush, Dr. Ben Carson, Governor Chris Christie, Governor Bobby Jindal, and businessman Donald Trump.

Let’s jump right in and talk about the man who’s on everyone’s mind, Donald Trump. Trump announced his candidacy for President of the United States in the 2016 election in June at the Trump Tower in New York City. Trump has gained a lot of attention with his recent comments on Mexico, and how “ They’re not sending their best. They’re sending people with lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with them. They’re bringing drugs, crime, rapists, and some, I assume are good people.”

Shortly after these comments were made by Trump, two brothers from Boston beat a hispanic homeless man and urinated on him. After the hate crime, the brothers were arrested and told police that they were “inspired by Donald Trump’s comments” and that “He was right.” Donald Trump was asked about his opinion on this hate crime, to which he replied, “I will say that people who are following me are very passionate. They love this country and they want this country to be great again. They are passionate.”

It’s absolutely devastating to see such hate crimes being committed due to a man’s comments on Mexicans. I do not believe that Donald Trump’s intentions were to persuade people into committing such crimes, but, I do believe that someone who obviously has some sort of influence on people can show caution about how he shares his opinions. Although, I do not believe that Donald Trump is an “evil man,” I do not agree with his comments on immigrants. I do not believe he is the right candidate for president.

I remember when Trump first made his remarks about immigrants and Mexico. I was sitting in my U.S. History class when a conversation between the students sitting around me started. Inevitably, the conversation was about Donald Trump and his comments. The students were arguing about whether Donald Trump is a good person and if he should become president. One student turned around and said, “ If Donald Trump becomes president, I’m moving to Canada.” A few weeks after that, anytime I had a conversation with someone about Trump, they all said the same thing…

Besides Donald Trump, candidates like Hillary Clinton have been getting people talking. One of Clinton’s plans includes a plan to stop individuals from purchasing guns over the Internet and at gun shows without background checks. Hillary Clinton also shared her views on abortion saying, “I think abortion should remain legal, but it needs to be safe and rare.  I have spent many years now, as a private citizen, as first lady, and now as senator, trying to make it rare, trying to create the conditions where women had other choices. I have supported adoption and foster care. I helped to create the campaign against teenage pregnancy, which fulfilled our original goal 10 years ago of reducing teenage pregnancies by about a third. And I am committed to do even more.”

Another candidate that has been attracting a a lot of attention is self-proclaimed Democratic Socialist, US Senator Bernie Sanders. Sanders’ plans for the presidential election include a plan to fix income inequality. Many people are saying Bernie Sanders has no chance in winning the election, despite his bright plan for income inequality.

Many students I’ve spoken with feel that despite who you vote for in 2016, we’re “in a pickle.”  My response to this is no matter who you vote for or advocate, make sure you understand their whole persona and beliefs. Some people may feel that Donald Trump is justified in saying “Mexico isn’t sending their best” and that he could “make America new again.” Some people may feel Hillary Clinton is wrong for being pro-choice, and some people may feel Bernie Sanders is wrong for making a plan to change income inequality. Regardless, whoever you choose, just know that you yourself will be making a change for your country, whether it be negative or positive. Understand and recognize your power in voting, and vote for the Presidency in 2016!