The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Vintage Yearbook Sales!

2023 BCCHS Football Team Wins L.A. City Championship, Loses in State Title Game to Acalanes

Antrell Harris Sr.
Senior Peyton Waters catches a touchdown against Acalanes. (photo: Antrell Harris Sr.–@werollvisuals/IG)

The Patriots finished the season ranked #1 in the Los Angeles City Section, going 12-3. 2023 was one of the best seasons for BCCHS in recent years. 

Transfer students that Birmingham acquired during the previous season immediately impacted this year’s results. One junior transfer, Dredon Fowles from El Camino Real, rushed for 565 yards with 74 carries and 8 touchdowns. He has proven he can be a dominant runner against opposing defenses. Adding to that, sophomore running back Ronnell Hewitt had 1438 yards on 215 carries.

Birmingham has one huge issue to address with next year’s team, and that is the graduation of the ’24 senior class. It’s going to be a tough task bringing up so many junior varsity players to varsity. One of the major position groups that will need to be improved is the offensive line. The O-line has helped running backs combine for 2023 totals of 2,003 yards rushing and our quarterbacks combined for 2,798 yards passing.

Star wide receiver Peyton Waters left for Washington after having another monstrous season, ending his senior season with 79 catches for 1,248 yards and 17 touchdowns. Also, sophomore quarterback Kingston Tisdell has left for new opportunities for his career. He will continue his career at Inglewood High School according to players on the team. 

The 2023 Birmingham team had all it took to win a state championship. The Blue and Gold blasted through teams like the 10-2 Carson Colts, and the 11-2 Garfield Bulldogs in the Los Angeles City playoffs. The Patriots scraped by San Diego’s Del Norte Nighthawks with a great tipped ball on a Hail Mary pass caught by Devyn Jackson to complete the come-from-behind last-second win, 30-28. Unfortunately, in the State Finals for Division III-A, BCCHS was defeated by Northern California’s Acalanes Dons in their comeback win, 35-23.  Birmingham had led for much of the game before the Dons launched their comeback victory in the second half.